Thursday, August 26, 2010

Clicks & Clacks

The newest chapter of my Namibian experience has officially begun. On August 25 I moved in with my host family. I'll be staying here for the next six weeks. Although some great Peace Corps Volunteer (hereafter known as PCV) group bonding time is being sacrificed, I couldn't be happier to move in with my family. I live in a mini convent (with mami, auntie and sister), which I absolutely love. I couldn't ask for a nicer house either - there's a big kitchen, bathroom with hot, running water, a refrigerator and stove/oven, a sitting room with TV and four bedrooms (one of which is mine). There's also a tiny but energetic black "guard dog" that I call "Are-eeb," which means dog in Khoekhoegowab, because I can't rememeber its real name.

Speaking of Khoekhoegowab...yes, that's right. I'm talking about one of those languages that you might have heard about with the clicks. While my teenaged sister speaks beautiful English (and understands my very fast paced Wisconsinese), Auntie speaks Khoekhoe and Afrikaans but not much English. Therefore, I'm learning some Khoekhoe and Afrikaans to communicate with her around the house. Right now I just click a lot and we laugh frequently about my inadequate clicking - there are several different tones and types of clicks but I somehow only manage to make one, and sometimes if I'm lucky, two. Although Khoekhoe is fun (and certainly sweet sounding), I think I am going to focus more on Afrikaans (A) because it is easier and (B) because it's more widely spoken around the country. I'm also learning Oshidonga at training which means I'll end up gaining basic knowledge but not fluency in all the language (story of my language-learning life).

Before I sign off, I'd like to share with you the top three things that amuse me about Nam:

3) Ne? - English sentences often end in "ne?" (pron: nay) which is Canadian/Minnesotan/sometimes Wisconsin equivalent of "eh?"

2) Namibian jokes - I often laugh simply because of their anticlimactic ending. I'd post one for you but you'd be left more confused than anything.

1) Shades of Sin - a Nam soapie. Oh but wait, it gets better: it's really a Spanish soap opera set (and maybe even produced) in Brazil dubbed in English by Americans with varying degrees of talent in acting/general vocal expression. I'm not sure if you can find it on Youtube or not, but if you get a chance, look it up!

Finally, I'll be making my first trip to the post office tomorrow and several of you will be receiving letters (within a time span that may range from several weeks to a month or two). Please don't hesitate to write me.

P.S. - ATTN PILGRIM CENTER STAFF: Just wanted to let you all know that I went on a hike up a nearby hill/small mountain (at least by WI standards) and was nature shanked several times on the way by thorn trees. I have several small puncture wounds and bruises on my legs to prove it. Also, thanks for the beautiful card...your encouragement is greatly appreciated!

No comments: