Saturday, August 28, 2010

My first "safari"

(Photo: Namibian thorn tree - beautiful but painful)

Today we traveled to the capital city, Windhoek. Unfortunately, I spent most of the day stressing over the abundance of choices for cell phones (and an equally unmanageable list of prices, specials, etc). Despite the debacle, I am relieved to have a cell phone again - and I have texting, something I didn't even have back in the States.

The most interesting part of the trip may have been the drive - on the way I saw all kinds of Namibian animals: giraffes, baboons, kudu (large deer-like animals with curly horns) and even an ostrich. At first, the animal-watching was rather frustrating (I can spot a turkey or a deer - no problem - but how do you go about finding giraffes or baboons?) but eventually I caught on.

Today was also a day of contrasts. We moved from a winding two-story Western-style mall to neighborhoods of tin shacks and sheebeens (bars). Although a middle class does exist, differences like those I experienced today are a reminder of Namibia's large income gap - one of the largest in the world, actually.

No comments: