Thursday, February 17, 2011

Chairs & Internet: Say WHAT?

I don’t have a lot to say today, I just really wanted to add some pictures. Things at school are still up and down, especially with grade 6. Some days I feel ready to declare victory while others I feel defeated...but the days continue on. I’ve done some crosswords with the kids and they’re really seemed to like those so I’m going to keep on going with that and hopefully find a few more things that work well.

Some good news: there’s free wireless internet at the library in Outapi! This is wonderful news. The only down side is that the library is only open M-F until 5 PM. This means that if I scoot out of school right away at 2 I can get a solid 2.5 hours in before the library closes. And...our school got 50 new chairs! This is great news! Now almost all of the kids have a place to sit. However, this one has a down side, too. The quality of the chairs is very low so they won’t last long. Some of them are already breaking. But, at least, we have chairs, if only for the moment.

And now...some pictures (they really are worth a thousand words, aren’t they?)









PHOTO: The Oshiwambo traditional spinach, called ombidi. It is a combination of a few different green plants that grow wildly in the area. Reminds me a little of collard greens. Ombidi is eaten with the oshithima instead of meat.









PHOTO: Eembe, berries, that grow on big trees in the homestead. Some might say they are an acquired taste but I've acquired that taste. They can be eaten fresh off the tree or dried and are used to make a drink. The ones on the left have been drying in the sun for a few days, the ones on the right are fairly fresh.














PHOTO: A closer look at the berries. Unfortunately they are 1/2 fruit, 1/2 pit so you really have to work to get the most out of them. But it's worth it.

No comments: